Thursday 1 June 2023

Cornell Community Park

 Cornell Community Park

Markham, ON

The skate spot is near Cornell Centre Blvd & Cornell Park Dr.

Here's what I know. CCP has been in development for a number of years. There were rumors of a skatepark for a long time. I was given the heads-up in 2020 that Cornell and Boxgrove were coming.  Boxgrove magically appeared. I checked on the status of Cornell and found that the park was ~75% finished and the skate spot was done.  I dug into old pdf's & rfp's to find more information. Everytime the skate spot layout would start to load, the file would crash. Eventually, I found the design. 

The Horror


It was designed by CRC. I took a closer look. There was something odd because there was nothing odd. The spot design looked pretty good. Confused, I kept an eye out, hoping to learn when the park would open. One day on a drive-by, the park was open and in use. I rode in and went for a rock n' roll and washed out.

"Yeah, It's really slippery" said one of the locals as I dusted myself off.

I haven't been able to find out who did the build, it could have been CRC, the GC that built the whole park or any number of companies that were subcontracted (EDIT - It was NOT constructed by CRC. It was some good skater/skatepark builders who have worked on Newcastle/Boxgrove/Haliburton etc).  The parks only issue is that the concrete it TOO polished. Bring your super soft wheels. Even after a winter, the surface is slick. 






No comments:

Post a Comment