Sunday 19 December 2021

2021...

 2021

A Year in Review.

2021 was definitely something.  After a year long recovery from the collarbone fracture of 2019, I folded my foot in early January attempting a pivot fakie. This injury took me out for another 3 months. I was able to get enough footage for a basement skate edit.

Me, Myself & Isolation.

Pickering got an Indoor/Mobile skatepark. It may not be set up until late winter/early spring 2022 but I'll post updates if I get them.


After posting some exciting(at least I thought it was exciting) information on the West Shore Skate Spot, a bunch of people had nothing but complaints. I vented my frustrations in an article, 

Skatepark Advocacy Burnout


Then Pickering began taking feedback on the West Shore Skate Spot. When the results were tabulated, there was nearly 91% support for the skate spot from respondents.  A Report was created and sent to council. Council accepted the report and voted to approve the West Shore Skate Spot meaning Parks Dept could create a contract for companies to bid on for both the design and building of the spot. 

Council votes.

Interviews
In 2021, I had the honor of being interviewed three times about skateparks, skatepark advocacy and my career as a paramedic.

Early in the year I Zoomed with Rick Bata for his 'No Mongo' Podcast.
All episodes are available through nomongo.com 

I video chatted with my friend Pete for a special Paramedic Week episode of his show 'Midnight Looms' which was released in May.
Splatter Art portrait of Gobs the Zombie (AKA Pete) by Spotttheloonie

In September, Comacan Skateboards interviewed me for their weekly Comacan Questions. Comacan really supports the Southern Ontario skate scene and I can't thank them enough for chatting with me.


ROAD TRIP 1
I took a day trip up to Tobermory and back.

ROAD TRIP 2
To 'celebrate' the 10th anniversary of my bad ankle sprain, I went back to Port Dover with some friends. The trip was great but Dover seems to be cursed. After getting the offending boardslide in 2013 (in the rain no less), I couldn't even pop properly. Then I fell on my head. My buddy, Ryan, blogged the day.


ROAD TRIP 3
In 2019, Some friends and I hit 50 Skateparks in One Day, setting a new world record. The next year, some other friends went out and hit 53 in a day. If they had asked, I would have given them some tips;)  The practically took the same route and were out 2 hours longer that I was and only got 3 additional parks. Anyway, I wanted the record back but I wasn't content with hitting 54. I made a new route covering Pickering to Hamilton, and over 20 hours crushed to old records.
80 Skateparks in One Day!!!!

Road Trip 4
Days later, it felt like a good day to take another trip and hit 9 parks
I'm so Excited I'm Nipissing My Pants!

I didn't do as many builds as last year the I went for quality this year over quantity and even did a 'how to' video for a Pole Jam
Later Skaters Gang - DIY Pole Jam

Tech Deck Arched Rail IRL

ROAD TRIP 5
My parents rented a cottage and invited the family up for cottage fun and of course I brought my board


In September, I launched Code Sk8. It's a skatepark program targeted at First Responders and their families.
I know how skateboarding benifits me so I found a way to give back.

Thanks to Skater Advocacy, Newcastle changed its proposed metal ramp park to a PIP concrete skatepark.  Although the build was delayed until the fall, the park is complete.

My big Halloween edit this year included building a Skatable Coffin Ledge and Gravestone Pole Jam and more. Then I channeled all things Burton and skated as Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas.
Presenting-
What A Nightmare!

That's 2021 in a nutshell.
Lots of Advocacy
A couple interviews.
A bunch of Big and small Road trips.
47 new skateparks.
My 450th (& 451st) Skatepark.

New crete in 2022!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete