Sunday 7 April 2024

West Shore Skate Spot Clean-up #3

 West Shore Skate Spot Clean-up #3

Over the past 2 clean-up, We'd picked ~300Pounds of waste.

This year we equaled that number.

Explanation.

The First pick happened before the Spot was constructed and after a homeless encampment burned down in the woods near where the spot was to be built. I'm not a fan of encampments because every one I've seen is a big trash pile, but shelters suck too so I have some sympathy. 

Anyways, we cleaned up 2 burnt down tents, found some weird stuff & collected ~200lbs before we were hailed, not rained, out.

Worlds smallest dog muzzle

The second pick netted 97lbs.  I attribute the decrease in waste to an increase in garbage bins. 


I continued to do little picks throughout the year but then in October of 2023, something dumb happened.

THE MURAL

The mural left the spot un-rideable due to its slipperiness. The city made a conscious choice to address this problem slowly so I withdrew my janitorial services.

However, I still love this spot and we (skatepark users) still care about the spot and want action on the mural. 

With the biggest crew yet, we cleaned the entire West Shore Skate Spot, Community Centre, Waterfront Trail and Frenchman's Bay vicinity.  




317lbs including 2 tires, lots of poop bags, plastic, a tea pot, 2 wallets (one with ID that was turned in to the police) and a what we think is a dock float barrel.

There's still the issue of the mural to attend to but we skaters are obsessive...

...and some are making their feelings known.

No comments:

Post a Comment